Global Aircraft Forum Help -  Privacy Policy -  Interactive Content Guidelines -  Legal Notices
Global Aircraft Welcome, Guest!   [Log In]  |   [Sign Up]  |   [Return Home]  

GAC Forum

RSS Feed Message Directories
Create New Topic
   RSS Feed General Aviation
   RSS Feed Subject - What is the name of this airplane  [Topic ID# 164]Messages 1 - 6 of 6  

[ unnervik ]

First post: 2006-07-19
Group: Newcomer

GAViCs: 0.10
GAC Cards: 0 cards
Subject: What is the name of this airplane
Post ID# 1094
Message Number 1
Date Posted: 19 July 2006, 1:12:21 AM

I cant figure out what the name on this airplane is.

http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload0/Flygplan_1.JPG

http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload0/Flygplan_2.JPG

Buffman54 [ buffman54 ]

First post: 2006-08-12

Post ID# 1105
Message Number 2
Date Posted: 12 August 2006, 10:19:26 PM

I believed that the aircraft is a Sikorsky S-43 Flying Boat. Built in the 1930's & 40's It was a airliner for getting to places that didn't after runways but had water(lots of water). It was used in WW2 for flying people across the oceans and for antisub warfare. There were many kinds of seaplanes or flying boats in the 1920's-50's and they came in all sizes and shapes. There are still many today some are old ones but there are many new ones too. To my knowledge there are no jet powered seaplanes not even turbojet powered. The seawater does bad things to a jet engine and a seaplane would suck in a lot of saltwater. There have been many trys at builting a jet powered one but I don't know of any that have made one that works without trouble with the seawater or even fresh water for that mater. Some have had trouble with the engine being drowned out by water sucked into it.

[ cvyeoh ]

Post ID# 1106
Message Number 3
Date Posted: 18 August 2006, 10:36:48 PM

It's most probably a Grumman Albatross.

[ cvyeoh ]

Post ID# 1107
Message Number 4
Date Posted: 18 August 2006, 10:39:07 PM

Sorry. Actually it's a SA-16 Albatross built by Grumman

[ cvyeoh ]

Post ID# 1108
Message Number 5
Date Posted: 22 August 2006, 8:10:18 PM

Buffman54, to my knowledge there was at least one jet seaplane built by Convair , called the F2Y 'Sea Dart' that didn't have a problem with water ingestion. However, a few teething problems & factors led to its demise.
1. The ski configuration vibrated at high speeds when retracted, causing excessive drag and caused the aircraft to never achieve its planned top speed of Mach 1.5, only getting to Mach 0.98.
2. The addition of supercarriers meant that seaplanes were no longer needed.

Buffman54 [ buffman54 ]

Post ID# 1121
Message Number 6
Date Posted: 29 August 2006, 6:16:50 PM

1; Yes I forgot about the F2Y. And yes I should have made it clear I was talking about civilian passenger and cargo planes not military aircraft. I don't remember for sure about the trouble with the skis after they were retracted. But I do believe that it was dropped more because there was no need for it than because of problems with the plane itself. The vibration problem could have been worked out if there had been a real need for such a plane. To my knowledge there have been no new attempts to build a jet seaplane in twenty or more years, civilian or military. I may be wrong because I really have not been looking for any thing of that kind. But I've seen nothing in any newpaper or on TV or magazines of any kind.
2; It is very possible that it is a SA-16 Grumman Albatross. I knew that it was a seaplane(flyingboat) but I'm not that up on them. So I went suffing to see if I could find it on the web. I came across a picture of the Sikorsky S-43 and it looked close enough to me to be what is in the picture the man had posted. The PBY is the only one I know without trying.

of 1 pages )  

Search the forum:

You must be logged in to post on this forum! Please Log in now

Global Aircraft Forum and faces are
Copyright © 2024 The Global Aircraft Organization

GAC Forum v.1,7,2